Wednesday, February 17, 2010

You know you're at NYU when...

I'm sure many of you have heard my lovely rants about the kids at NYU. Sometimes, many times, they can simply just be jerks. Apparently NYU in Buenos Aires students are included.

You are in a foreign country. A nation who's official language is NOT English. On top of that, You are demanding to be taught in English. So when you are in a class, and you have a professor who's English is almost impeccable, and every like 15 mins, he asks if he translated ONE WORD right, you really think it's okay to act annoyed with him? Our professors are highly intelligent guys. And bi-lingual, which many of us are not. I mean how disrespectful can we be? If you want a teacher who doesn't slip a spanish word in every once in a while, go study in London.

For me, la luna de miel está terminada. It's not a bad thing though. It means that I'm adjusting and trying to figure out my real place in this place. Just in the past week and a half, my Spanish has gotten better. At dinner last night, mi familia de acá told me that my Spanish was good (which apparently means a lot since the last girl only said "Perr-Fect-O" according to them...) and that they could only imagine how good it would be by the time I left.

Don't get me wrong though- half the time I still have no idea what is being said to me. My problem is that I don't listen as well as I should. Example: I was lying on my bed studying, and my mamá stopped at my door and said something, to which I responded "Bien. Bien. Sí. Sí." and just kept on reading. Two seconds later, Manuel comes to my door, and, speaking to me in his nearly perfect English, says "Don't you have class at 3 today?" I nodded. He just kinda stared at me and chuckled. "That is not what you told her." Apparently, what I thought was "How was your day?" was really "How was your class?" Manuel thought it was hilarious. Just to clarify (espeically since this conversation was one of few in English), I asked him if I had just lied to his mother. "Yes. Yes you did. (laughing) I will go tell her." Well thanks bro.

Luckily enough, I've found a nice group of people that are hilarious and all around fantastic. Definitely making this week a little easier. I mean studying abroad is hard for everyone, but when you're seriously living with another culture, another language, you hear music and TV that you don't understand, arguments in the house that you only get half of, and only hear your native tongue when you're at school or out with friends, it kinda wears you down. I would die for a hamburger right now. Or cottage cheese. Or a bagel. Mmmm bagels.

Also, my 11 year old hermanita has returned. She's my buddy and makes me stuff and gives me cookies. : )

If I can make it through this week, I can make it through anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment